Monday, 29 November 2010

New T.O.T story- process

Just last night I completed my new 10 page story which I've gotten word will be posted this Sunday on the Talesofthe website. So I figured why not put up the process, as it is a completely new one incorporating both digital and traditional mediums.

These days I find I much easier to rough things up in manga studio- it must be the eco-warrior inside me that doesn't like to waste pages. That and the quick and easy edit-ability of it.
Once I have the roughs I convert them to blue then "ink" them on another layer, fleshing it out as I go along and using photo reference where needed, to make sure anatomy and proportions are correct.

When I started this projected, Holly bought me me first Bristol board, and after using it I loved how clean the pencils came out on it. I knew from speaking with the Titan talent scout at 2D that I would have a better chance of getting work from a pencilled portfolio than an inked one, so this was a good opportunity to get a bit of practise doing some tight pencils. I light boxed the outline from the above rough, again adding more detail and tidying as I went, then I shaded her and scanned her in. Unfortunately there was a snag in the road....

....they scanned terribly!! I was so dissappointed when I seen them come out like this. Luckily this is the digital age! Using some level adjustments and going round on a layer set behind the pencils I blocked in some greys to blend the pencils, I starting to feel a bit happier with it but something was still mucky about it....
...into illustrator with it, for dialogue and a great wee filter I just found- trace/color 6. It really tidied it up this filter and smoothed it out. Below is the finished article.

Make sure to check by T.O.T on Sunday for the complete story.

No comments:

Post a Comment